Sometimes, something as simple as boredom can lead to drinking or drug use. Not knowing what to do in your free time can be a doorway into relapse. In fact, boredom is one of the leading triggers of substance use, along with loneliness and hopelessness. If you equate drug use and drinking with excitement, then you might have a hard time finding something fun to do when you’re sober. If that’s the case, you’ll find suggestions for fun in this article.
First, it’s important to remember that there are millions of people around the world who have exciting lives who have never had a drink in their life. There are millions of people who know how to have fun and who have never touched anything close to drugs. Knowing that it’s possible to have fun without drugs and alcohol might open you up to possibilities you haven’t thought of before.
Ideas for Sober Fun
However, for now, consider the following suggestions for having fun in your recovery:
- Read. Go to the library and create a list of all the books you’d like to read in the areas you find interesting.
- Start a new hobby. Visit a hobby or craft shop in your neighborhood and look for something interesting. You might choose something that you can do continuously. At first, you might have to simply choose any hobby until you find one that you really enjoy.
- Join a gym. Find a gym with people you think you’d like to meet one day. If you’re going to spend more than 3 times per week at the gym, then you’re likely to see familiar faces and form friendships. Obviously, you’ll want these friendships to support your sobriety and not threaten it.
- Take a course on something you like. You might find something online or being offered in your neighborhood. If you want to try a class online, visit the website lynda.com, which offers thousands of courses for a small fee.
- Join a fan club or a sports league. Depending upon whether you like to play sports or watch them, you might choose to join a fan club and attend local basketball, football, or soccer games. Or you might like to play and in which case, joining a sports league could be fun. No matter where you live, there are often many other men and women who enjoy doing the same thing.
- Learn to write songs. There are many courses you can take to improve your writing, regardless of whether it’s poetry or lyrics. You might find an online course or a community college near you offering classes on songwriting.
Learn to play a music instrument. Most people have always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, such as the guitar or the piano. However, they never end up doing it. If you’re looking for fun that’s sober and free, search for YouTube videos on playing the instrument you like.
- Learn a new language. Almost every library has language learning CD’s that you can borrow for free.
- Pick up a sport you’ve always wanted to play. Does wind surfing look interesting to you? What about kayaking or soccer or scuba diving? There is a long list of sports to try.
These are suggestions for creating a new and sober life. Although you once might have associated having fun with drugs and alcohol, it doesn’t have to be that way anymore! You can be sober and have loads of fun in your life!